Director of Policy and Planning
Choices for Youth (CFY) is a leader in the development and delivery of innovative programs for at risk and homeless youth.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Policy and Planning is responsible for ensuring that the vision, mission and core values of the agency are adhered to and all youth programming work is in line with the agency’s strategic plan. This individual’s primary role is future oriented in working with the Senior Leadership Team to grow the vision for youth programming for the agency.
The Director of Policy and Planning provides leadership and support to the Manager of Supportive Housing & Employment Services, the Manager of Family Programming & Supportive Services, and the Manager of Research and Evaluation. This individual is responsible for ensuring that appropriate policies and procedures are in place and are being followed and all programming meets the highest ethical standards and best practices in the human services sector. The framing of this position includes overall responsibility for the policy and practice environment required to be a leader in service delivery and management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that CFY programming makes the best use of resources in order to have the highest impact in our work
- Be aware of and advise on new practices, theories or principles in the field of youth homelessness that we should apply across all programs.
- Have a solid understanding of trends in our sector especially from a best practices and academic studies perspective.
- Provide support to Managers of Programs to ensure the provision of support to youth, enabling empowerment and a move toward successful independent living.
- Provide support to the Manager of Research and Evaluation to ensure that CFY has a clear research agenda, program evaluation process and centralized database system.
- Responsible for impact/outcomes reporting to all funders
- Continually evaluate the client serving programs to ensure that they are inclusive/accessible
- Report to the Board of Directors on programming and areas of responsibility
Human Resource Management
- Responsible for all Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Ensure effective change management processes are in place to ensure the smooth transition of the agency in terms of organizational structure and growth
- Ensure all Human Resource activities are completed consistently and in adherence to CFY policies and procedures
- Provide direction to the HR Specialist in conjunction with the Director of Finance & Administration
- Oversight of development and implementation of a Performance Management plan for all staff and adherence to all organizational performance management systems
- Oversight of development and implementation of an agency-wide Wellness plan for the agency
Risk Management and Analysis Programming
- Responsible for risk management planning and implementation related to all youth programming at Choices for Youth
- Oversee and ensure that all agency Code of Conduct and Professional Standards for staff are followed
Strategic Plan Alignment
- Liaise with the Director of Strategic Development for the monitoring and implementation of the strategic plan
- Lead specific strategic commitments as determined in concert with Senior Leadership Team and Director of Strategic Development
- Ensure programs are in line with and meeting the goals of our strategic plan with regard to services and supports to youth
- As a member of the Senior Leadership team, act as a representative and spokesperson for the organization and provide sector-wide leadership on key issues related to youth homelessness.
- Liaise with other agencies locally, provincially and nationally on behalf of service users and the agency to identify and work towards filling gaps in service to youth
- Represent CFY on committees that are relevant to the work of the organization
- Make public/educational presentations on behalf of Choices for Youth related to youth issues
- Partner with other agencies, provincial and federal governments in providing supports and services along the continuum of mental health services
- Advocate provincially and federally for enhanced services for the youth we serve
- Master’s degree in Social Work or related field
- 7-10 years’ management/supervisory experience
- Experience in Human Resource Management
- Experience in Policy development
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Excellent organization skills
Hours of work for this position is 35 hours per week and flexibility in work hours will be required including evening and weekend work to accommodate organizational requirements.
The starting salary for this position is $80,791. Choices for Youth offers a competitive compensation package, including: a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter with CFY-11-2017 in the subject line to:
This competition will remain open until the position is filled.
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.