Choices for Youth (CFY) is seeking a Senior Human Resources Specialist to join our team of committed individuals who collectively work to support high risk youth in recognizing that they are their own greatest opportunity for change! Our CFY team is here to offer youth the supportive infrastructure of access to essential services, skills building, employment, and psychosocial programs, through a housing first, and harm reduction philosophy to facilitate in youth’s transition towards healthy life change, stability, and growth.
At the core of CFY is our emphatic belief in young people and their potential. The key responsibility of the Choices for Youth ‘Senior HR Specialist’ is to keep this mission statement alive through our employees, and to enhance it through the policies that frame and guide the work we do here at CFY.
The ‘Senior HR Specialists’ role necessitates that the candidate has capacity to prioritize multiple high level projects, while ensuring the continuation of HR related day-to-day operational integrity (i.e. development and/or analysis of HR policies, while fielding employee needs, and time sensitive senior management requests). Demonstrated ability of this capacity will be required of you at the interview, should you be selected to proceed.
The ideal candidate will have working knowledge of the HR council of Canada, particularly as it relates to diversity in the work place, and utilizing this resource and others to continue fostering cultural sensitivity and inclusivity across CFY.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Choices For Youth ‘Senior HR Specialist’ will be responsible for the operations of Human Resources within CFY including (but not limited to):
- Fielding resumes and all recruitment (posting job advertisements, schedule interviews, complete reference checks, keep job descriptions current)
- Daily HR related telephone and email correspondence with employees, and external resources as necessary
- Navigating/prioritizing interdepartmental requests made to HR such as; employee relations, training, attendance, supporting senior leadership in development/action plan related conversations with employees, support and scheduling of exit interviews, and new hire orientation
- Commit to helping CFY achieve the goals of its strategic plan
- Help foster a social justice approach among employees
- Workforce planning and employment
- Risk Management
- HR Development
- Employee and labor relations
- Occupational Health and Compensation
- Other various assigned projects
Required Skills and Specifications
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word
- Able to exhibit a high level of confidentiality and flexibility towards change
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- A clear certificate of conduct and must be bondable
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years previous progressive experience in HR
- While Experience in a nonprofit environment is considered an asset, the ability to highlight transferability of pertinent skills and knowledge from HR experience in the for-profit sector will be considered as well.
- Human Resources (or related) degree/diploma from an accredited University or College
- Experience with electronic HRMS is required
- Organizational development/implementation of HRMS is an asset
The position will work 35 hours per week 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday. Some flexibility in work hours will be required to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
The salary for this position will be $58,000.00 to $62,000.00 annually. Choices offers a competitive compensation package, including: a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the requirements and include Job Reference # SHRS-07-2018 in the subject line via email or fax to:
Director of Programs and Operations
Choices for Youth
Fax: (709) 726-3125