Choices for Youth is a constantly evolving organization, centered around the needs of at-risk and homeless youth in our community. Through a number of programs, the organization supports at-risk and homeless youth to secure stable housing, education and employment.
We are currently seeking individuals to join our Board of Directors. Our Directors have an authentic belief in social change, and a desire to help present solutions to a pressing and challenging issue: youth homelessness. We encourage submissions from individuals who are a part of, or identify with, under-represented communities and/or groups.
Join our team of staff, volunteers and board members who have built an engaging, respectful, innovative and collaborative work environment, designed to support change in the lives of young people and improve the health our our shared community.
Being a part of a team
As our organization grows and the external environment changes, we are steadied by our core values. They remind us to focus on those we serve, and to build environments at the forefront of supportive programming.
- Act with empathy and kindness
- Choose to see the potential
- Cultivate safe, inclusive spaces, and promote diversity
- Work hard, with boundless ambition and strategic excellence
- Inspire hope, and create opportunities that empower
Choices for Youth strives to be a model of diversity and inclusion, and our Board Members, staff, volunteers, and program participants reflect the many faces, cultures, identities, abilities, and walks of life that make up our province. We are a learning-centered organization that values the perspectives and contributions of all people, and strive to incorporate the needs and values of diverse communities into the design and implementation of inclusive programs.
We respect, value, celebrate, and welcome racialized people, all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, people with disabilities, with mental illness, and those from all social strata.
Our Board of Directors reflects four key qualities that help propel our vision, and expand our work to best serve the at-risk youth in our community:
- Steering the Ship – Great Governance
- Amplifying our Voice – Applying Influence
- Unlocking and Mobilizing Resources – Fundraising through Partnerships
- Delivering Expertise – Operational Supports
Candidates for the Board of Directors should have one or more of the following:
- Curiosity, interest, and eagerness to learn about and share issues pertaining to youth homelessness.
- Time and availability to attend board and committee meetings, as well as events throughout the year. Regular meetings are scheduled quarterly. Additional meetings are scheduled based on needs and opportunities.
- The ability to promote and market our programs and events in the community.
- Strong connections with the St. John’s business and philanthropic community.
- An area of expertise relevant to operations at Choices for Youth (e.g. finance, HR, law, construction, social work, fundraising, etc.).
- Connection to the at-risk and homeless youth community in the St. John’s Metro Area.
- Unique perspective and set of experiences.
We thank all applications in advance; however only those selected for furthering conversations will be contacted. Please forward a statement of interest and your resume to email@example.com using the subject line Board Position.