Choices for Youth is a dynamic, progressive organization that empowers homeless and at-risk youth with innovative options and tools to move from street-life to more stable, healthy living situations. Currently, The Choice’s Shelter and the Lilly Program are looking for Relief Workers. This is a call in, as needed, position. Relief workers will be trained to work at both programs and will require shift work including weekends, overnights, evenings, and holidays.
The Lilly is a non-traditional safe and affordable housing program with in-house supports for homeless and at risk youth. Youth who live at the Lilly develop and engage in an individual support plan to identify employment and/or educational goals and actively engage in programming. As a relief worker at the Lilly, you will work as part of a team to ensure these goals are being met.
Choices for Youth Shelter provides emergency, short-term housing for male and non-gender conforming youth between 16 and 29 years of age. As a relief counselor you will work as part of a staff team to ensure quality service to the youth that use the shelter services. This will include intake/assessments, providing supportive and crisis counseling, community liaising, advocacy and referrals to programs and services as required. Relief workers are also responsible for daily shelter operations including cleaning, meal preparation and other general duties.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Post-Secondary education in Social Work, Social Sciences or related accredited program
• Experience working with homeless and at risk youth
• A sound knowledge of the issues facing homeless and marginalized youth
• Experience in supportive counselling
• Experience working with diverse populations
• Demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team
• Strong documentation and administrative skills
• Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
• First Aid and CPR, ASSIST, and a clear Certificate of Conduct
The following Skills are considered an asset:
• Knowledge or experience with substance misuse and mental health
• Life skills and Employment counselling
• Knowledge of community services and programs
• Knowledge in DBT
Rate of pay: $20.49 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Please submit resumes by Friday July 13th, 2018 to: