Mental Health and Housing Worker
(Contract Position until March 31, 2019)
Stella’s Circle and Choices for Youth are currently looking for a Mental Health and Housing Worker to fill a position on an Intensive Case Management (ICM) and Housing Supports Program known as “Front Step”. The City of St. John’s is partnering with End Homelessness St. John’s (EHSJ) to deliver this program for chronically and episodically homeless persons in St. John’s.
Front Step is shared between both organizations as we work to evolve the program by developing, implementing and providing day to day leadership and support. The St. John’s Community Plan to End Homelessness has proposed a vision to end homelessness in St. John’s by 2019. This plan is based on a systems approach grounded in Housing First as the guiding philosophy. Four priority areas are included in this plan which include systems coordination; integrated information system and research; leadership and resources; and housing supports.
As a Mental Health and Housing Worker, you will provide outreach services to all Program clients using a Strengths-based approach. You will collaborate with clients and Case Managers to assist in the development and implementation of individualized service plans, in finding housing for each client and in supporting these clients to maintain their housing.
Duties include but are not limited to:
· Provide ongoing emotional support, encouragement and unconditional acceptance to clients;
· Support Case Managers in provision of outreach services to clients with weekly visits to their homes while helping to ensure that individualized service plans are implemented;
· Complete shift reports and/or daily logs and submit in a timely manner;
· Assist clients in all aspects of housing – searching, moving, developing landlord-tenant agreements, financial resources, etc;
· Provide direct support and education to private landlords who rent to clients as well as seek out and develop private landlord market for potential rentals;
· Implement an Eviction Prevention Program – providing direct support to tenants regarding housing retention, mediation and conflict resolution;
The successful candidate will:
· Have a post-secondary degree or diploma in a social sciences field such as social work, psychology, etc; Equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered;
· Have a minimum of 2 years’ direct work experience with target population being served in program;
· Have a knowledge, understanding and commitment to the Housing First Model, Recovery Model and philosophies;
· Have extensive knowledge and experience in such areas as housing, homelessness, mental health, addictions, trauma, conflict resolution and crisis intervention;
· Have knowledge of community resources, in particular the housing market;
· Must be flexible for hours of work (some evening and weekend hours) and have a willingness to be creative in motivating and inspiring clients;
· Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a safe vehicle for work;
· Must have a valid First Aid/CPR Certificate
The annual salary is $45,000 which is based on a 37.5 hour work week. This position comes with a benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, ADD, LTD and an RRSP plan.
Please send cover letter and resume by August 14, 2018 to:
Human Resources Specialist
142 Military Road
St. John’s, NL A1C 2E6
Fax: (709) 738-7808