The Momma Moments program is currently recruiting one full-time Housing Support & Family Worker position
The Momma Moments Program is a peer-to-peer support and strengths-based group for young parents or pregnant mothers. It provides moms and their children with wrap-around support to navigate the challenges of motherhood, which they often face in addition to social isolation, financial demands, and limited social and family support.
Momma Moments currently operates in St. John's and Conception Bay South, where groups meet once a week for programming that emphasizes overall wellness - mental, physical, spiritual, and social - for both mother and child. Young mothers have access to healthy recreational activities, as well as resources and discussions on topics of family building, income supports, mental health, education, nutrition, and more.
In addition, staff act as advocates for their well-being and that of their children, and volunteers provide child minding services, and staff and volunteers of Momma Moments prepare meals for moms and kids - with extra to take home.
Housing Support & Family Worker
The Momma Moments Housing Support & Family Worker’s primary role is to focus on housing retention, eviction prevention and landlord engagement, while providing wrap around support to the Momma Moments participants and their children. This position will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team focused specifically on Housing and ongoing case management support for young families. This successful candidate will report to the Momma Moments Program Coordinator and together, will work to ensure effective program delivery and appropriate housing resources and supports for program participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide direct support with housing referrals, rental applications, landlord /tenants need and housing stability concerns
· Work with income sources to secure financial resources for housing options and to monitor rental payments, damage deposits and financials for internal housing options
· Assist clients in communicating with landlords, reviewing lease agreements, securing rental units
· Respond to landlord concerns, developing budgeting skills and help families access additional financial supports for housing stability
· Provide outreach support and engagement opportunities with the Momma Moments Outreach clients
· Provide advocacy, accompaniment and referral services for the Momma Moments Outreach clients
· Provide crisis intervention support to participants as needed
· Conduct assessments and establish shared goals in a strengths-based support plan
· Participates in the development of support plans and transition plans, inclusive of housing needs
· Collects related program statistics and data in an efficient manner
· Advocates and liaises with social services and other agencies on behalf of youth and their families
·Maintains regular communication and consultation with the Momma Moments team regarding the needs and interventions of individuals and families
· Ensures program and agency policies and procedures are followed
· Partakes in group and community building activities with all Choices for Youth staff
· Provides ongoing feedback regarding program evaluation and effectiveness
· Participates in staff meetings, training and professional development opportunities
· Ensure that services provided reflects the needs of CFY’s youth and their families
· Ensure documentation of relevant client information and that documentation is in accordance with CFY’s policy on the security and maintenance of client information
· Nurture and contribute to the unique culture of the organization
· Commit to helping CFY achieve the goals of its strategic plan
The position will work 37.5 hours per week and flexibility in work hours will be required including evening and weekend work to accommodate family and youth schedules if the need arises.
Qualifications and Experience
· Degree or diploma in Social Work, Psychology, real estate, property management, marketing or another related Human Services field
· Knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act, housing first for youth and the local housing market
· Minimum 3-years experience working with youth and families
· Demonstrated experience in the non-profit sector
· Knowledge of community resources and supports for youth and families
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Familiarity of harm reduction principles and strategies
· Experience with and understanding of working from a Trauma Informed Practice lens
· Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
· Knowledge and understanding of issues pertaining to homelessness and street involved and at- risk youth
· Experience in supportive family counselling would be an asset
· Able to work both independently and as part of a team
· Use of own vehicle is required
· Satisfactory record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check, ASIST training, and current First Aid/CPR are required
Compensation The salary for this position will be $45,669.00 to $50,368.50 annually. CFY offers a competitive compensation package, including: a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter with Reference ID # in the subject line to:
Lucas Geary; Senior Human Resources Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org and
Jeannie Piercey; Program Coordinator of Momma Moments and Family Natural Supports at email@example.com
or fax (709) 726-3125
Competition will remain open until May 4, 2021
Reference ID: HSFW0421
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.
To view all current job postings, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.