Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, a youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and their families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
The Carpentry Lead must have an advanced understanding of carpentry fundamentals for residential construction. Reporting to the General Manager, this role will be responsible for coordinating and being hands-on with our residential construction projects, teaching Trainees best practices in a hands-on skills training program, providing experiential learning and mentorship, while working collaboratively with the social enterprise and employment support team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provide leadership through establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with field staff and sub-trades in order to promote positive morale.
· Supervision and development of site team through regular feedback and coaching.
· Ensure sufficient manpower is provided to achieve safety, schedule, and quality objectives.
· Coordinate with General Manager to ensure program and project deliverables are completed timely, with high-quality workmanship.
· Ensure all tools and equipment are in working order and proper inventories are kept
· Train youth participants in construction best practices and safety procedures
· Promote a safe working environment; ensuring regular toolbox meetings are conducted.
· Address unsafe work practices and make sure that information is recorded.
· Ensure safety procedures are developed and followed for the operation of all equipment.
· Ensure that required personal protective safety equipment is made available and used by all staff and youth participants alike.
· Erects and disassembles scaffolding safely and according to legislative and company policies.
· Assists with demolition and debris disposal.
· Framing, insulating, sheathing, building foundations, etc.
· Installation of siding, windows, and doors.
· Maintains good housekeeping at all times to ensure a safe and non-cluttered worksite.
· Works under time constraints to meet specific timelines.
· Ensures attention to detail.
· Experience in asbestos abatement or willingness to learn considered an asset.
· Collaborate with General Manager, Training and Employment Lead and the support team to create and implement an on-site training program
· Be a mentor to Trainees in all aspects of the worksite.
· Follow protocol for construction and youth care as determined by company policies.
· Any other duties as assigned.
· WHMIS Certification
· Fall Arrest Protection Training
· Confined Space Entry Training
· Standard First Aid/CPR
Access to a vehicle will be required
The hourly rate for this position will be $22.00 - $25.00. This position would also be eligible for CFY’s health and dental program.
This is a full-time, 6-month contractual position with possibility of extension.
The position will work 40 hours per week 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. Flexibility in work hours will be required to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume using job ID #ICCL072021 explaining how you meet the criteria to:
Human Resources email@example.com
Brian Hanley, General Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.
To view all current job postings, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.