Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and their families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
We are seeking a Community Youth Outreach Worker to provide support within the Outreach and Youth Engagement program. This individual will report to the Program Coordinator and together, will work to ensure effective program delivery
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provide outreach support, engagement opportunities, and drop-in services to youth
· Create space for positive relationships, predictable structures, and clear expectations for youth
· Provide advocacy, accompaniment, and referral services to youth
· Intervene effectively and appropriately to crisis and conflict through the use of supportive counseling, problem-solving and clear communication
· Ensure that services provided reflect the needs of youth
· Ensure documentation of relevant information and that documentation is in accordance with CFY’s policy on the security and maintenance of youth information
· Nurture and contribute to the unique culture of the organization
· Commit to helping CFY achieve the goals of its strategic plan
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree or diploma in a social science field
· Minimum 3 years experience working with youth
· Advanced knowledge and understanding of issues pertaining to homeless, street-involved, and at-risk youth
· Advanced understanding of the systems affecting youth
· Ability to work independently and within a team while supporting and achieving the overall goals of the program
· Thorough knowledge of community resources and supports for youth
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential
· Demonstrated experience in using trauma-informed practice would be an asset
· A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
The position will work 37.5 hours per week and flexibility in work hours will be required including evening and weekend work to accommodate youth and program needs and to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
The salary for this position is $45,669.00 - $50,368.50 Choices for Youth offers a competitive compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP, and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and use ORYE-0921 in the subject line.
Erica Norman, Coordinator of Outreach/Youth Engagement
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Choices for Youth, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata