Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and their families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
CFY is looking for a full-time permanent Director of Finance & Administration to join our team. In addition to the duties below, as part of our nationally recognized, innovative team, the successful candidate will be on the leading edge of our work related to social enterprise, social finance, and social procurement in the fields of affordable housing, poverty reduction, and economic development.
WHO ARE YOU
You are an analytical, ethical, and strategic thinker who believes in strong leadership and teamwork. You bring life to financial statements, budgets, and all things numbers. You are a confident communicator who feels at ease talking around a board table. A Chartered Professional who can see the big picture, understand the impact that CFY has on the community, and in turn the financial responsibility behind that impact. If this sounds like you, do not hesitate one more moment-apply now! We are excited to see your name cross our desk!
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for ensuring that the financial and administrative management of Choices for Youth is in accordance with policies, procedures, regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Responsible for, but are not limited to the following:
· Oversee and supervise the Finance team (4)
· Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports for use by the Directors and Managers.
· Preparation of detailed financial reports in accordance with contract agreements with funders.
· Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure proper recording, amortization, and disposal.
· Ensure all statutory requirements of the organization are met including Charitable Status, Withholding Payments (CPP, EI, and Income Tax), Goods and Services Tax, Employer Health Tax, Annual Charitable Return (T3010).
· Responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the overall financial and administrative management of Choices for Youth.
· Ensure that appropriate financial and administrative advice and direction is provided to the management team to promote effective management throughout the organization
· Manage the preparation of required financial statements and information for funders and the management team by ensuring data is accurately entered into the accounting system, including quarterly reports and statements for the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
· Work directly with the Board Treasurer and external auditors to prepare the annual audited statements
· Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash.
· Management/preparation of the organization’s annual operating budget.
· Advise the Executive Director, Directors, and Managers with respect to budgetary matters.
· Analyze the financial viability of programs and activities and make appropriate recommendations.
· Responsible for ensuring that effective financial monitoring systems are in place to enable the Executive Director, Directors, and Managers to regularly monitor and control revenues and expenditures on a monthly basis and promptly advise the same of any significant concerns and variances from the approved budgets.
· Prepare all budget submissions for funders.
· Oversee all payroll functions ensuring employees are paid accurately
· Responsible for the design and development of compensation strategies and programs, including an internal classification system
· Negotiate and manage all employee insurance and benefit plans
· Ensure statutory remittances, T4s, WHSCC Payroll Reports are completed and filed on schedule.
· Responsible for the reduction of financial and operational exposure through a risk assessment program.
· Develop and monitor risk management policies and procedures (Risk Registry) to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized.
· Ensure appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Directors.
· Assist program managers in assessing risk in their program areas.
· Oversee and supervise the administrative function of the organization including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and administrative support.
· Oversee the management of all leases, contracts, and other financial commitments.
· Ensure financial statements are analyzed on a regular basis and recommend appropriate courses of action to the management team.
· Work with Directors and Managers to prepare the annual budget ensuring the budgets are comprehensive, of high quality, and completed within established timelines.
· Ensure managers are familiar with their individual program budgets by providing advice and training on budgetary matters including revenue and expenditure monitoring.
· Identify budgetary concerns and variances and recommend corrective action when necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Finance or equivalent
· Chartered Professional Accountant designation is required
· Minimum 5 years experience in a senior management position preferred
· Previous experience in a non-profit environment is considered an asset
· Experience with Social Enterprise development is considered an asset
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Experience working with SAGE is considered an asset
· Active drivers license and access to own vehicle is required
· Satisfactory Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check is required
· Proof of Covid-19 Vaccination is required
The position will work 35 hours per week. Monday to Friday. Flexibility in work hours will be required to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
The salary for this position is $80,789.80-$84,630.00 annually. Choices for Youth offers a competitive compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP, and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and use FA-02-2022 in the subject line. Email:
Sheldon Pollett, Executive Director
Reference ID: FA-02-2022
Application Deadline: Posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Choices for Youth, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.
Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.