Choices for Youth (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth, and their families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives. The Family and Natural Support Program is seeking to hire one full-time Family and Youth Therapist position. This is a 12-month contractual position with the possibility of an extension.
The Family and Youth Therapist will use a strengths-based approach and provide individualized support and client-centered therapy to persons who avail of programs and services at Choices for Youth. Utilizing a wraparound approach, the Family & Youth Therapist will display a sound knowledge of complex behavioral conditions, family systems, and trauma and culturally informed practice.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Coordinating and providing consultation, clinical assessments, therapy, and follow-up for youth and families in accordance with CFY mandate, policies, and procedures.
· Provide clinical support to those who require crisis intervention, safety planning, and risk assessments.
· Participate in constructively evaluating counseling and clinical support services and system effectiveness and recommending necessary changes.
· Participates in the development of support plans and transition plans.
· Provide clinical support to the Family Support Workers as needed.
· Provide written reports and ensure regular, appropriate documentation in client files in keeping with the standards and procedures of CFY.
· Ability to work with marginalized groups from a client-centered and strengths-based approach.
· Ability to maintain professional boundaries with clients.
· Provide time-limited counseling services
· Ability to work independently while achieving the overall goals of the program.
· Proficiency in the use of computer and software applications.
· Nurture and contribute to the unique culture of the organization.
· Commit to helping CFY achieve the goals of its strategic plan.
· Ensures agency policies and procedures are followed.
· Partakes in group and community-building activities with all CFY staff.
· Participates in staff meetings, training, and professional development opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Master of Social Work or Master of Counselling Psychology.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience providing counseling services to youth and families.
· Advanced knowledge and understanding of issues pertaining to homeless, street-involved, and at-risk youth.
· Strong clinical knowledge and skills in at least one of the following: brief counseling, narrative therapy, solution-focused counseling/coaching, CBT, Mindfulness; other practice-based clinical interventions.
· Thorough understanding of recovery-orientated principles, harm reduction, and trauma-informed practice.
· Ability to work independently and within a team while supporting and achieving the overall goals of the program.
· Thorough knowledge of community resources and supports for youth and families.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and facilitation skills are essential.
· Demonstrated experience in using trauma-informed practice.
· Satisfactory record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check, ASIST training, and current First Aid/CPR is required.
Hours of work for this position is 35 hours per week and flexibility in work hours will be required including evening and weekend work to accommodate various groups, after-hours appointments for clients and to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
The salary for this position is $67,002.00 - $74,977.50. Choices for Youth offers a competitive compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and use YFT-03-2023 in the subject line.
Jeannie Piercey, Program Coordinator
Deadline to Apply: March 30, 2023
Choices for Youth (CFY) strives towards a culture of inclusion and empowerment, one where there’s a sense of belonging and safety while prioritizing diversity across the organization, including in its Board of Directors composition, employment practices, staff, policies, programming, and services. CFY values lived and living experience and invites everyone interested to apply for available opportunities. CFY actively seeks applications from Indigenous Peoples; members of Black, racialized, and other equity-seeking and/or religious, cultural, and other communities; members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community; people with disabilities; and people from a variety of social and economic backgrounds. Should you require support or accommodation(s) to better enable your ability to participate in the employment or recruitment process, please let us know at any point. This information will be kept confidential.
To view all current job postings, please visit http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.