Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations, and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and young families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
Crust Craft Bakery is a Choices for Youth social enterprise seeking an experienced, head baker to join our food production team. Facilitated under our Education, Employment & Social Enterprise hub, Crust Craft Bakery is a business where diversity is celebrated. As a department, we strive to offer a fun, safe, and inclusive workspace. We are seeking a Head Baker & Kitchen Supervisor to join our team on a part-time basis (32 hours) for a one-year contract.
Our facility is a busy, multi-faceted space with the goal of combining creativity with professional skills training. Crust Craft Bakery is dedicated to ensuring the work experience of our trainees is as successful as possible- guiding each person through their work plans, helping to set and achieve goals, and confidently entering the workforce.
Under the direction of the Food Operations Lead, the Head Baker & Kitchen Supervisor position directs and coordinates the total operation of our food-based social enterprise with a focus on food preparation and manufacturing our products, food service, and supervision of our youth trainees. The ideal candidate will provide independent skills and leadership in the area of artisanal baking, supervision of daily kitchen operations, quality control, food safety and cleanliness, sustainability, and supply ordering.
Becoming a supervisor at Choices for Youth Social Enterprise means learning something new every day. We offer a dynamic workspace providing the opportunity to learn rewarding skills supporting the work experience of at-risk youth. The successful applicant should be comfortable working as a team leader and have exceptional communication skills.
This position offers a fantastic experience for anyone looking to advance their skills in many fields such as; commercial food production, education, social enterprise, and small business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Supervises and facilitates on-the-job training of youth employees engaged in the production of food, food retail, and catering service, ensuring a consistent level of service for all shifts and market events. Plans assign, and reviews work of assigned staff; adjusting work assignments as necessary to respond to fluctuating workloads and individual skill development. Evaluate employee performance.
· Working with our designated support staff to develop best work practices and ensure Trainee goals are being met.
· Manages and coordinates consistency in our food production, retail, and catering activities.
· Participates in food preparation and ensures recipes and procedures are revised as necessary.
· Ensures all applicable local, provincial, and federal food handling policies are complied with pertaining to food safety and food handling.
· Inventories goods on hand and initiates purchase orders for all food goods for the social enterprise’s products. Ensures all supplies necessary for food production and any events are present.
· Analyzes and monitors food and supply costs data on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Reports to the Food Operations Lead as needed to ensure food service operations stay within the allotted budget.
· Analyzes and understands kitchen equipment malfunctions. Schedules and oversee equipment repairs.
· Other duties performed as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Successful completion of a Cooking Certificate or other related culinary fields
· 3-5 years in an artisanal and/or commercial bakery setting
· Experience in a kitchen management role as an asset
· Strong leadership skills; comfortable making decisions and instructing; positive and upbeat personality
· Safety focused mindset
· Excellent time management skills
· Comfortable working with the public
· Inventory management principles
· Support experience in an employment-based setting, considered an asset
· Demonstrated skill in working with diverse cultural, ethnic, and academic backgrounds
The position will be 32 hours weekly primarily Monday-Friday. Some flexibility in work hours will be required, with evenings and weekend work required at times.
The hourly salary for this position is $18.00 per hour.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and using the reference ID HBKS0122 in the subject line. Deadline to Apply January 27, 2022
Nick King, Food Operations Manager
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Choices for Youth, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.