Choices for Youth Inc. (“Choices”) is a dynamic, progressive organization that empowers homeless and at-risk youth with innovative options and tools to move from street life to more stable, healthy living situations. CFY is currently seeking a full-time permanent Housing Support & Family Workerjoin our Momma Moments and Family and Natural Support Team.
The Momma Moments Program is a peer-to-peer support and strengths-based group for young parents or pregnant mothers. It provides moms and their children with wrap-around support to navigate the challenges of motherhood, which they often face in addition to social isolation, financial demands, and limited social and family support. Momma Moments currently operates in St. John's and Conception Bay South, where groups meet once a week for programming that emphasizes overall wellness - mental, physical, spiritual, and social - for both mother and child. Young mothers have access to healthy recreational activities, as well as resources and discussions on topics of family building, income supports, mental health, education, nutrition, and more. In addition, staff act as advocates for their well-being and that of their children, volunteers provide child minding services, and staff and volunteers of Momma Moments prepare meals for moms and kids - with extra to take home.
The Momma Moments Housing Support & Family Worker’s primary role is to focus on housing retention, eviction prevention, and landlord engagement while providing wrap-around support to the Momma Moments participants and their children. This position will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team focused specifically on Housing and ongoing case management support for young families. This successful candidate will report to the Momma Moments Program Coordinator and together, will work to ensure effective program delivery and appropriate housing resources and supports for program participants.
· Provide direct support with housing referrals, rental applications, landlord /tenants need, and housing stability concerns
· Work with income sources to secure financial resources for housing options and to monitor rental payments, damage deposits, and financials for internal housing options
· Assist clients in communicating with landlords, reviewing lease agreements, securing rental units
· Respond to landlord concerns, develop budgeting skills, and help families access additional financial support for housing stability
· Provide outreach support and engagement opportunities with the Momma Moments Outreach clients
· Provide advocacy, accompaniment, and referral services for the Momma Moments Outreach clients
· Provide crisis intervention support to participants as needed
· Conduct assessments and establish shared goals in a strengths-based support plan
· Participates in the development of support plans and transition plans
· Collects related program statistics and data in an efficient manner
· Advocates and liaises with social services and other agencies on behalf of youth and their families
· Maintains regular communication and consultation with the Momma Moments team regarding the needs and interventions of individuals and families
· Ensures program and agency policies and procedures are followed
· Partakes in group and community building activities with all Choices for Youth staff
· Provides ongoing feedback regarding program evaluation and effectiveness
· Participates in staff meetings, training, and professional development opportunities
· Ensure that services provided reflect the needs of CFY’s youth and their families
· Ensure documentation of relevant client information and that documentation is in accordance with CFY’s policy on the security and maintenance of client information
· Nurture and contribute to the unique culture of the organization
· Commit to helping CFY achieve the goals of its strategic plan
· Degree or diploma in Social Work, Psychology, or another related Human Services field
· Minimum 3 years experience working with youth and families
· Demonstrated experience in the non-profit sector
· Knowledge of community resources and support for youth and families
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Familiarity with harm reduction principles and strategies
· Experience with and understanding of working from a Trauma Informed Practice lens
· Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
· Knowledge and understanding of issues pertaining to homelessness and street-involved and at-risk youth
· Experience in supportive family counseling would be an asset
· Able to work both independently and as part of a team
· Use of own vehicle is required
· Satisfactory record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
· ASIST training
· Current First Aid/CPR is required
The position will work 37.5 hours per week. Flexibility in work hours will be required to accommodate operations, meetings, and special events Hours worked more than regular hours will be accounted for in accordance with the overtime provisions of the Personnel, Policy, and Procedure Manual of CFY and the Labour Standards Act NL.
The salary for this position is $ 45,669.00 - 50,368.50 annually. CFY offers a competitive compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP, and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and use Ref Code: HSFW-092022 in the subject line. Deadline to Apply: September 14, 2022
Human Resources Lead Recruitment@choicesforyouth.ca
Jeannie Piercey, Program Coordinator
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all gender identities, people who identify as members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, Indigenous peoples, those with disabilities, and mental illness, and from all social strata. Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
To view all current job postings, please visit http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.