WHO ARE WE?
Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and their families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
The Lilly is a 14-unit, congregate living housing model for youth that works. Both the programming and the physical layout of the building promote a sense of community while maintaining individual home spaces in a youth-friendly environment. Participants work with staff through individual support models aiming to remove lifestyle, housing, educational, and employment barriers to finding security and stability. For most of the young people who come to stay at The Lilly, it is the first time they have lived in a safe and stable home environment.
The building consists of 1- and 2-bedroom units, with shared community spaces in the larger kitchens and eating areas, as well as in the living, recreational, music, and art spaces. Residents of The Lilly take part in a variety of community programming - including camping and hiking trips, yoga and meditation, drumming circles, and goal-setting sessions. Alongside this, youth must also be prepared to engage in employment and/or educational training programs.
Supporting youth to prepare for independent living and life skills, including employment and education. Working within the team to complete administrative duties, daily residence responsibilities, date entry, housekeeping, programming as well as participation in the broader organization activities. All Choices for Youth Team members support the organization’s mission statement and reflect the values of the mission statement in their work with youth. All Frontline Housing Support Mentors are committed to a supportive approach and constructive communication that respects diversity and dignity. CFY is hiring 1 full-time permanent Housing Support Mentor to join our Lilly team.
· Post-Secondary education in social work or related social sciences field is required
· 1-3 years of experience working with homeless and at-risk youth in diverse populations
· Knowledge of the issues facing homeless and marginalized youth
· Experience in supportive counseling
· Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
· Strong documentation and administrative skills
· Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
· All mandatory hostel standards training, including standard First Aid and CPR and ASIST
· Satisfactory Criminal Record Screening and Vulnerable Sector Check and must be bondable
· Active Drivers License and access to a vehicle are required
· Proof of satisfactory Covid-19 Vaccination status is required
THE FOLLOWING IS CONSIDERED AN ASSET
· Knowledge or experience with substance misuse and mental health
· Life Skills and Employment Counselling
· Knowledge of community services and programs
The salary for this position will be $45,669.00 annually. CFY offers a competitive compensation package to qualifying employees, including but not limited to: a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP, 20 days’ vacation days, and 18 sick days.
Other Important Information:
Full time - Permanent
NAPE – The Lilly
Internal Closing Date
May 19, 2022
External Closing Date
May 26, 2022
Shift Work; days, evenings, and overnights (24-hour operation)
45,669.00 47,989.50 50,368.50 + 5% Shift Differential
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter with Reference ID #LHSM-0522-002 in the subject line to:
Heather Roberts; Program Coordinator
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.
To view all current job postings, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.