Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and young families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
CFY is looking for a full-time permanent Manager of Housing Services to join our team.
The Manager of Housing Services will work in collaboration and report to the Director of Programs. This individual will provide leadership, direction, data, and operational support to Program Coordinators who directly oversee housing services to youth participants at CFY. This includes services from a youth shelter to transitional housing to moderate to intensive housing first programming.
This individual is responsible for ensuring that appropriate policies and procedures are in place and are being followed and all programming meets the highest ethical standards and best practices in the human services sector.
The Manager of Housing Services is responsible for the support and oversight of housing programs at CFY which includes ensuring that the vision, mission, and core values of the agency are adhered to and all work is in line with the strategic plan. This individual’s primary role is both future-oriented in relation to providing recommendations and assisting in growing the vision for programming but also focusing on quality and continuous improvement of programs utilizing an evidence-based approach to sustain and strengthen programs.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Responsible for the day to day operations of the housing programs
· Provide direct and indirect supervision of Program Coordinators.
· Support the Director of Programs in formulating the vision, setting out the strategic priorities, and developing the strategic plans for CFY.
· Provide leadership to the Housing Operational Central Intake team for the management of housing programs.
· Responsible for the oversight CFY owned and operating physical housing stock
· Prepare annual operating budgets in consultation with the Finance team and Director of Programs
· Establish positive and collaborative working relationships across sectors, community groups, and agencies
· Assist in setting long term planning and program priorities at CFY
· Responsible for quality and continuous improvement of data utilization and evidence-based practice within CFY housing programs
· Participate and contribute to discussions and decision-making at Program Leadership team meetings.
· Assume responsibility and provide program leadership to CFY projects
· Ensure adherence to CFY policies and procedures, consistent practices of all Human Resource activities and work collaboratively with the HR Manager.
· Determine appropriate staffing requirements for programs and services
· Manage and support staff through regular performance reviews, coaching and mentoring the team effectively to meet the program and professional goals
· Conducts annual performance evaluations of Program Coordinators.
· Be accessible to staff after hours as part of the rotational on-call operations team.
· As a member of the Program Leadership team, act as a representative and spokesperson for the organization demonstrating the highest professional standards.
· Liaise with other agencies on behalf of service users and the agency to identify and work towards filling gaps in service to youth
· Make public/educational presentations on behalf of Choices for Youth related to youth issues
· Ensures appropriate monitoring of all activities of client-serving programs.
· Oversee interaction with residents regarding complaints, violations, applications for housing, transfer requests, etc..
· Establish effective measurement systems to capture the impact and value of our support/services as well as maintain the critical measurement data
· Prepare and present housing update quarterly reports to Board and Key donors as required
· Guide staff in effectively resolving difficult occupancy issues and disputes
· Other duties as deemed necessary
Qualifications and Experience
· Completion of a bachelors program from a recognized university within the Social Services field (equivalencies of a combination of education and experience may be considered)
· 3-5 years of management experience in the areas of youth and/or homelessness is required
· Current and continuing registration with professional relevant association(s) is required
· Extensive knowledge and experience in such areas as housing first for youth, mental health and addictions, trauma, conflict resolution, and crisis intervention is an asset.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Experience supervising staff
· Familiarity of harm reduction principles and strategies
· Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
· Knowledge and understanding of issues pertaining to homelessness, street involvement, and at-risk youth
· Previous experience in a non-profit, housing environment is an asset
· Able to work both independently and as part of a team
· Use of own vehicle is required
· Satisfactory record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check, ASIST training, and current First Aid/CPR is required
· Proof of Covid-19 Vaccination required
The position will be 35 hours per week from Monday to Friday. Some flexibility in work hours will be required, including attendance at fundraisers and organizational events.
The salary for this position will be $73,455.20 – 76,949.60 annually. CFY offers a competitive compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP, and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the requirements via email or fax with the subject line MHS-01-22 to:
Human Resources Recruitment@choicesforyouth.ca
Tim Smuck; Director of Programs
Fax: (709) 726-3125 To view all current job postings, please visit http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.
Reference ID: MHS-01-22
Application Deadline: January 26, 2022
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.