WHO ARE WE?
Choices for Youth is a dynamic, progressive organization that empowers homeless and at-risk youth with innovative options and tools to move from street life to more stable, healthy living situations. Currently, The Choices Shelter for Young Men and Gender Non-Conforming Youth and The Lilly is looking for Relief Workers. Relief workers will be engaged to work on an ad hoc basis (as needed/call in) at both programs which may require work during weekends, overnights, evenings, and holidays.
Choices for Youth Shelter provides emergency, short-term housing for young men or individuals who are gender non-conforming between the ages of 16 and 29. As a relief counselor, you will work as part of a staff team to ensure quality service to the young people that use the shelter services. This will include intake/assessments, providing supportive and crisis counseling, community liaising, advocacy and referrals to programs and services as required. Relief workers are also responsible for daily shelter operations including cleaning, meal preparation, and other general duties.
The Lilly is a non-traditional safe and affordable housing program with in-house support for homeless and at-risk youth. Youth who live at the Lilly develop and engage in an individual support plan to identify employment and/or educational goals and actively engage in programming. As a relief worker at the Lilly, you will work as part of a team to ensure these goals are being met.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Post-Secondary education in social sciences or related accredited program
• Experience working with homeless and at-risk youth
• A sound knowledge of the issues facing homeless and marginalized youth
• Experience in supportive counseling
• Experience working with diverse populations
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
• Strong documentation and administrative skills
• Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Screening and Vulnerable Sector Check and must be bondable
• Active Drivers License and access to a vehicle are required
• Knowledge or experience with substance misuse and mental health
• Life skills and employment counseling
• Knowledge of community services and programs
The hourly rate for this position is $23.42 per hour plus 5% shift differential and 4% vacation pay.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter with Reference ID #REL-102022 in the subject line to:
firstname.lastname@example.org Jolene Cooze;
The competition will remain open until positions are filled.
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.
To view all current job postings, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.