Choices for Youth is a dynamic, progressive organization that empowers homeless and at-risk youth with innovative options and tools to move from street life to more stable, healthy living situations. Currently, The Choices Shelter for Young Men and Gender Non-Conforming Youth and The Lilly is looking for Relief Workers. Relief workers will be engaged to work on an ad hoc basis (as needed/call in) at both programs which may require work during weekends, overnights, evenings, and holidays.
Choices for Youth Shelter provides emergency, short-term housing for young men or individuals who are gender non-conforming between the ages of 16 and 29. As a relief counselor, you will work as part of a staff team to ensure quality service to the young people that use the shelter services. This will include intake/assessments, providing supportive and crisis counseling, community liaising, advocacy and referrals to programs and services as required. Relief workers are also responsible for daily shelter operations including cleaning, meal preparation, and other general duties.
The Lilly is a non-traditional safe and affordable housing program with in-house support for homeless and at-risk youth. Youth who live at the Lilly develop and engage in an individual support plan to identify employment and/or educational goals and actively engage in programming. As a relief worker at the Lilly, you will work as part of a team to ensure these goals are being met.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Post-Secondary education in social sciences or related accredited program
• Experience working with homeless and at-risk youth
• A sound knowledge of the issues facing homeless and marginalized youth
• Experience in supportive counseling
• Experience working with diverse populations
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
• Strong documentation and administrative skills
• Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Screening and Vulnerable Sector Check and must be bondable
• Active Drivers License and access to a vehicle are required
• Knowledge or experience with substance misuse and mental health
• Life skills and employment counseling
• Knowledge of community services and programs
The hourly rate for this position is $23..42 per hour plus a 5% shift differential and 4% vacation pay.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter with Reference ID #REL-04-2023 in the subject line to:
Heather Roberts; firstname.lastname@example.org
Jolene Cooze; email@example.com
The competition will remain open until positions are filled.
Choices for Youth (CFY) strives towards a culture of inclusion and empowerment, one where there’s a sense of belonging and safety while prioritizing diversity across the organization, including in its Board of Directors composition, employment practices, staff, policies, programming, and services. CFY values lived and living experience and invites everyone interested to apply for available opportunities. CFY actively seeks applications from Indigenous Peoples; members of Black, racialized, and other equity-seeking and/or religious, cultural, and other communities; members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community; people with disabilities; and people from a variety of social and economic backgrounds. Should you require support or accommodation(s) to better enable your ability to participate in the employment or recruitment process, please let us know at any point. This information will be kept confidential.
To view all current job postings, please visit http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.