Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and their families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives. The Shelter for Young Men and the Lilly is looking for Relief Workers to work on an ad hoc basis (as needed/call-in) at both or either program which may require work during weekends, overnights, evenings, and holidays.
The Lilly is a non-traditional safe and affordable housing program with in-house supports for homeless and at-risk youth. Youth who live at the Lilly develop and engage in an individual support plan to identify employment and/or educational goals and actively engage in programming. As a relief worker at the Lilly, you will work as part of a team to ensure these goals are being met.
Choices for Youth Shelter provides emergency, short-term housing for young men or individuals who are gender non-conforming between the ages of 16 and 29. As a relief counselor, you will work as part of a staff team to ensure quality service to the young people that use the shelter services. This will include intake/assessments, providing supportive and crisis counseling, community liaising, advocacy and referrals to programs and services as required. Relief workers are also responsible for daily shelter operations including cleaning, meal preparation, and other general duties.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
· Post-Secondary education in social sciences or related accredited program
· Experience working with homeless and at-risk youth
· A sound knowledge of the issues facing homeless and marginalized youth
· Experience in supportive counseling
· Experience working with diverse populations
· Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
· Strong documentation and administrative skills
· Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
· Valid Standard First Aid and CPR, ASIST, and a clear Certificate of Conduct
· Knowledge or experience with substance misuse and mental health
· Life skills and employment counseling
· Knowledge of community services and programs
· Knowledge in DBT
The hourly rate for this position is $20..49 - 22.61 plus 4% vacation.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and use #REL1021 in the subject line.
Human Resources Recruitment@choicesforyouth.ca
Heather Roberts, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jolene Cooze, email@example.com
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Choices for Youth, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.