Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and young families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives. Our RallyForward Program is seeking to hire 1 Community Support Worker on a one-year contract.
RallyForward is a Supportive Housing Program with intensive Community Support, for young people between the ages of 16-29 who have been identified as having complex mental health needs. The Community Support Worker will work in collaboration with the Program Coordinator/Team Lead to provide direct support to youth who face barriers in the community. The Community Support Worker will assist young people with attaining the skills needed for independent living such as life skills, education, employment, housing, and crisis intervention/prevention.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Build rapport with individual youth through supportive and respectful interactions, providing support to youth, enabling empowerment and a move toward successful independent living within the community
• Collaborate with the Community Support Team to ensure that individual support plans are implemented. Individualized plans may include; establishing goals, assistance in daily living, financial planning, vocational and educational guidance, social supports, health, harm reduction, leisure/recreation, and advocacy
• Be client-centered and client-directed in working with youth
• Actively participate as part of the Housing team, to provide quality housing and supports to young people.
• Effectively model and assist young people in their development of physical, social, emotional, and life skills such as; maintaining personal hygiene, assisting with housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, budgeting, making and keeping appointments, and interpersonal skills. As young people address these issues, staff will provide supportive feedback, in an effort to increase independence
• Crisis intervention and prevention work including; identifying potential crises and implementing prevention plans, responding to crises as they arise (mental health, physical and non‐violent crisis intervention), and reporting all crises to the Program Coordinator
• Advocate with social services and other agencies on behalf of youth
• Partake in group and community building activities
• Meet youth as required
• Explore opportunities to integrate youth connected to the Program with other programs located in Choices if needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
· University degree in social services or equivalent and registration with a professional college, if applicable
· Preference will be given to candidates with 2 years experience in the community mental health field
· Extensive knowledge of youth-related issues and resources
· Commitment to the philosophy of youth empowerment is a requirement
· Conflict resolution skills
· Knowledge of the housing first philosophy an asset
· Understanding of HIFIS
· Current Standard First Aid/CPR and ASIST training.
· Training in Trauma-Informed Practice preferred
· A satisfactory certificate of conduct and vulnerable sector check is required and must be bondable
· Active driver's license and access to a vehicle is required
· Proof of Covid-10 vaccination
The position will work 37.5 hours per week and flexibility in work hours will be required to accommodate youth and program needs and to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
The salary for this position is $45,669.00 – $50,368.50 annually. Choices for Youth offers a competitive compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP, and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume with CSW-02-2022 in the subject line, explaining how you meet the criteria. Deadline to Apply: May 12, 2022
Recruitment Lead, Human Resources:
Susan Crawford, Coordinator, RallyForward
Reference ID: CSW-02-2022
Application Deadline: May 12, 2022
Choices for Youth appreciates all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Choices for Youth, please visit www.choicesforyouth.ca
Equity in employment is essential to a just society. Choices for Youth enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified people, including racialized people, people of all sexual orientations, women and trans* people, Aboriginal and First People, those with disabilities, mental illness, and from all social strata.